In the summer, watermelons appear in shops and markets. This sweet and juicy berry is very popular with our compatriots. Small children, adults, older people enjoy eating this juicy fruit, getting many positive emotions. At the same time, watermelon has a positive effect on the work of internal organs. Especially during hot weather, we enjoy its flavor and freshness, eating the fruit, preparing smoothies with it or delicious desserts. But is watermelon good for dogs and can dogs eat watermelon?
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of watermelon, detail its nutritional value, and answer the question: ” Can dogs eat watermelon? ” Read the article to find out if this is one of the forbidden dog foods or not.
Nutritional value of watermelon for dogs
Can dogs eat watermelon? according to the data obtained in the database of the United States Department of Agriculture, The nutritional benefits of 100 grams of natural watermelon:
- Water: 91.45 G
- Calories: 30 kcal
- Protein: 0.61 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.55 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Sugars: 6.2 g
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B
- Sugars in the form of hydrates
Thanks to these nutrients that make up watermelon, dogs can obtain multiple benefits from watermelon. Can dogs eat watermelon? Read the below-mentioned nutrients to know more:
- It is an antioxidant: It is purifying and, in addition, a diuretic because the amount of water it contributes to the body is very high and, with it, vitamins and fibers, mainly vitamin C.
- Perfect for the summer: for its satiating and vital capacity.
- Very low in calories: so your dog will not be at risk of being overweight if he consumes it, and he will maintain his good physical shape.
- It contains carotenoids: such as lycopene, magnesium, and potassium, that help the animal to stay healthy and, in addition, are beneficial for sight and circulation.
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?
The values mentioned above of nutrients are suitable for both humans and dogs. So can dogs eat watermelon? The answer to the question “can dogs eat watermelon?” is YES because it is a food that provides ample doses of water. It is very necessary to keep your dog well hydrated during the summertime. Likewise, it is not part of the list of toxic products provided by the Animal Poison Control Center, Pet Poison Helpline.
Now, it is essential to know that we cannot offer watermelon to our dogs as much as we want. There is a limit, as long as a series of considerations are carried out to feed it properly and avoid damaging their stomach. Throughout the article, we will see both the benefits of this fruit and the ways to offer it so that you can take advantage of this information and feed watermelon to your dog ideally.
- Remove the rind of the watermelon: it must be borne in mind that dogs should not eat the rind of this fruit because it is very difficult for them to digest, just as it happens to us. Eating it, especially barely chewing it, could lead to gastrointestinal problems.
- Remove the seeds from the watermelon: it is essential to prevent the dog from ingesting the seeds, as otherwise, gastrointestinal problems such as the rind could occur. From diarrhea or colitis to intestinal obstruction if different indigestible parts of food accumulate.
- Control the amount you offer: if you administer large amounts of watermelon, you could cause damage to the stomach, as well as diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems, so you should avoid giving too much at one time.
All this does not mean that if you eat a piece of bark or a few seeds, something serious will happen to them, far from it, but it is not advisable to do it regularly or in quantity. On the other hand, if you give him well-prepared watermelon from time to time or daily but in a small amount, he will take advantage of its benefits and surely love it.
Read More “Do You Like Dogs Or Cats More?“
Benefits of watermelon for dogs
In the same way that it provides us with multiple good health properties, watermelon for dogs is also highly beneficial. In this way, the previous nutritional values are translated into the following benefits and properties.
Watermelon provides a considerable amount of benefits for your dog. In the nutritional composition of watermelon, the following nutrients and components stand out:
- Vitamin C.
- Vitamin B.
- Carbohydrates (sugars).
Due to this composition, it is considered that the benefits of watermelon for dogs that are most important for their health care:
- It is an antioxidant, purifying, and diuretic, thanks to the fact that it provides a large amount of water and various vitamins and fibers, especially vitamin C.
- It is a refreshing and hydrating fruit, especially good for taking care of your dog in summer.
- It’s low in calories, which means it won’t make your dog fat.
- It has carotenoids, such as lycopene which is also very antioxidant, magnesium, and potassium, which is also very healthy for the dog, especially for its eyesight, circulation, and the proper functioning of various organs.
It is mainly due to carbohydrates or sugars that you have to limit the fruit in the diet of dogs to just the right amounts. Fruits naturally contain sugars, and if we abuse our dog with fruit, we will end up offering him an excess of carbohydrates since, in addition, he will also consume them through other foods. Compared to other fruits, watermelon has very few sugars in its composition, making it one of the fruits that can most often be given to dogs. Specifically, there are less than 7 g of sugars for every 100 g of watermelon.
How to feed my dog watermelon?
If you do not know how to give watermelon to your dog and can dogs eat watermelon, do not worry because, below, we will explain it to you:
- The first thing you will have to do is remove the seeds and the bark to prevent the dog from ingesting these parts, as they can be harmful to him (as for us).
- Offer the dog a small piece of watermelon for the first time; if you notice that it reacts well and after a few hours you notice that it has not had problems digesting it, you can give it another piece. The maximum amount of watermelon to give is about 4 or 5 medium pieces.
- You can give it alone or prepare a fruit salad suitable for your dog and offer him his full feeder from time to time.
You can consider giving your dog watermelon as a reward or treat it as part of positive reinforcement. After offering your watermelon ration, it is very important to observe if you urinate more than normal or if your stools are too soft, or even diarrhea. If so, you will have to remove the watermelon from your diet, as you do not assimilate it well.
Other recommended fruits for dogs
Fruits are the perfect nutritional supplements for the health of your dog, and they also act as a welcome reward for them! Keep in mind that if your goal is to introduce fruit to the dog’s diet, it must be varied by time, not always offering the same fruit. Therefore, you can also choose different types of fruits for your dog. Not sure which fruits are good for dogs? Pears, strawberries, bananas, mango, or blueberries are some of the healthiest fruits for your dog, too. Always try to offer your dog these fruits without seeds or rind, only the part of the pulp that is the most nutritious and juicy.
Thus, some of the fruits that you can feed your dog and their properties are:
- Pears: they are a good option due to their high vitamin content and also helps clean your teeth.
- Strawberries are a natural source of vitamin C, so it is an antioxidant and an excellent diuretic because it favors intestinal transit.
- Mangoes: they provide a large number of vitamins and fibers, and being sweet, your dog will enjoy them.
- Blueberries have high antioxidant content and prevent the onset of heart-related diseases.
Now you know the answer to the question, can dogs eat watermelon, and they can also eat fruits, but remember to offer them in small quantities since they have to be a small part of their diet. In this other one HOW TO article, you can learn much more about what fruits dogs can eat.